||Initially, the procedure of selecting a proper flashlight might seem confusing. In view of the fact that nowadays there are various advanced flashlight technologies and countless number of choices available, it’s more difficult than ever before to take the right decision. We want to share our experience in the flashlight industry with you and provide you with several key steps to help you choose the best flashlight that meets all your needs and demands.
Simple questions to help you choose a flashlight
- What do you need the flashlight for? Will you use it for general home tasks or are you a professional in a specific area?
- In what conditions do you plan to employ the flashlight?
- What functions do you expect from the flashlight?
- What battery type do you need?
- What kind of beam do you wish?
- What size of the flashlight is the best for your application?
- What type of warranty are you interested in?
You simply need to respond to all these questions since your answers will help you to pick out the best possible flashlight on the market for your unique situation, demands and circumstances.
Just reflect on the following issues:
- How is the light switched on and off?
- Can it be accidentally switched?
- How easily can you operate it wearing gloves or with wet hands?
Remember, first and foremost is to identify what features are of the highest priority to you.
Tips for choosing the right light for you
Light output. It’s very important to have the flashlight that totally meets all your lighting needs. We’ll help you to decide what brightness you really need.
- Brightness 10 - 20 lm is quite sufficient for close range tasks such as finding the keyhole in the door or keys in the bag.
- 20 - 150 lm is great for different kinds of work around the house and dog walking.
- Flashlights with 160 - 200 lm are a good option for general tasks, using around the house, walking and hiking, camping, personal security and tactical employment.
- The main purpose of lights with 200 - 500 lm is tactical application, hunting, rock-climbing, hiking, different work uses, sailing or fishing.
- Such brightness as 600 – 1.000 lm is perfect for hiking, camping, hunting, fishing, caving or industrial uses.
- Flashlights with more than 1.000 lm provide full situational awareness. They are definitely not meant for using around the house or small areas. These are serious flashlights for critical tasks - search & rescue, hunting, work on large territories.
Beam distance. How far the light should extend totally depends on your tasks and aims. If you are looking for a tactical or search and rescue flashlight, a high beam distance will be relevant to you. If you are looking for a EDC or outdoor flashlight, beam distance isn’t so essential.
Type of beam. You can’t decide what beam do you need? First, let’s find out what kinds of beam exist. Flashlights with a flood beam are a good choice for illumination of large areas at short distances. Flashlights with a spot beam are remarkable for a narrow and focused beam, which is ideal for illumination of small areas at long distances.
Field of application is also of significant importance. Long range spot beams are best suited for search & rescue operations, firefighting and hunting. Flood beams are an excellent option for general home repair, reading, automotive work and many other activities.
One more essential aspect of selecting a good flashlight
. At first decide whether you want a rechargeable or a non-rechargeable battery. If you will use the flashlight several times a week, for work or different daily tasks, it makes sense to acquire high-capacity rechargeable batteries. If you plan to use your flashlight occasionally (for special tasks or in case of blackout), it’ more reasonable to get cheaper non-rechargeable batteries.
Define how frequently and how long you will use the flashlight and it won’t be a problem for you to choose the best power source.
Size and weight. It depends on your individual preference. Flashlights of small size and light weight will always be with you - in a pocket, a bag or on a key ring. Flashlights of larger dimensions can be placed in the glove compartment, a backpack or fixed on a belt. Please note that a flashlight’s size mostly depends on its battery type, kind of beam and scope of application.
Functional capabilities. It’s one of the most relevant features to consider. Some flashlights have only one brightness mode. Others have four levels of brightness or even more. In certain flashlights modes are changed by a head twist, others have a pushbutton switch. It should be pointed out that with different modes you are able to vary not only brightness but also the runtime what is even more important sometimes.
In order to understand what functionality you really need, take into account how often you will use the flashlight and under what circumstances. For example, Strobe is a perfect tactical mode and SOS is a kind of extreme mode that you may use in case of emergency.
One of the latest improvements in flashlight technology is the appearance of programmable lights or lights with advanced control. If you are an experienced user, such kind of flashlight is just right for you.
When you answer all these questions, you will understand with ease what type of flashlight you truly need - whether it should be big and heavy or small and light. These tips play a major role in determining how bright the light should be, how far it should illuminate, what battery it should use and what functions possess.
Never buy low-value and cheap flashlights! Give your preference for a well-established manufacturer such as Armytek and you will receive everything you need, namely:
- a flashlight of high performance;
- high and clean light intensity;
- diverse emergency light options;
- long-lasting lifespan and perfect durability;
- unwavering warranty up to 10 years;
- confidence, comfort and peace of mind.
It’s up to you to decide whether you want to enjoy them!
Now you are ready to choose a flashlight!